The mast and boom on the CS34 was made by Isomat Inc. You will find the same mast on many different brands of boats including Bayfield, Beneteau, Pearson, … And the exact same mast and boom is used on the CS36 Traditional and CS36 Merlin1. Everyone I spoke with has told me something along the lines of “that’s one solid mast, you’ll never have a problem with it”.
There is a great source of information on Rig-Rite’s website with all of the parts for the CS34 rigging.
- Isomat NG-60 Mast (RigRite.com) – couldn’t find the CS34 on their site but this is what is used on the CS36 and the CS36 uses the same NB-32 boom.
- Isomat NB-32 Boom (RigRite.com)
- Isomat AutoReef System (RigRite.com) – this is the best diagram and description of the reefing system I’ve seen.
- Isomat BF-3 Spars (RigRite.com) – this is making the assumption that the NG-60 mast is on the CS34.
On our boat, everything is solid and working well. However, I would like to take apart the boom this winter to clean out the auto reef system. There were birds nesting in it last winter and I don’t think the shuttle blocks inside the boom are sliding all that well. I’ve seen others post that it is possible but you need to drill out the rivets at the end of the boom. The following came from RigRite, and very useful to understand the system inside the boom.
Options for replacement parts
- RigRite.com – has lots of great info on their site but may not have stock of all the parts.
- Holland Marine – I’ve heard of them from the CSOA forum and several other CS owners. They have acquired a lot of the equipment and stock from CS. CSOA forum members have mentioned Peter as a good resource there.
- SparCraft – It may be another option for finding replacement parts for your boat. I found some info online that they acquired the US Isomat company.
Isomat was based out of France. I haven’t been able to find much information about it. I did find the following government document saying a US location was acquired by Charleston Spar, Inc. sometime in 1998. This probably was just a US distributor.
1 I still need to confirm that it is the exact same NG-60 mast as the CS36. The CS34 is deck stepped and the CS36M and CS36T are keel stepped.